The Climate Family

I have been thinking often lately of the incredible people I am surrounded by in this work that I do. I have had a small handful of amazing friendships over the years, but there is something about a common cause that can bring people together in a way that is unique and soul-changing.

When I started this journey of climate advocacy, it was mostly a lonely path. I would meet people at conferences or meetings and would then continue on my own, trying the best I could to make a difference in my own life. But jumping into this work with both feet, with my entire being, not only changed my perspective, it changed my community. While the work that I do is exhausting, often unfruitful, and at times depressing, the family I have gained along the way is incredible, uplifting, and worth every sleepless night.

And that's what they are to me, these fellow Earth Warriors. Family. The bond I feel with them goes beyond mere friendship. Being joined together in a fight for the very future of human society, for the fate of the planet, for over half of all species, for Mother Earth herself...that kind of bond is something that cannot be described to those who don't have it. We are family bound by activism, by a cause, by passion and drive and intellect. And we are so much stronger because of it.

This family is much like any other. There are groups that are at the core of my life, and then there are the supporting roots and branches. We may not all know every detail of each others' lives but we impact one another through our work and our inspiration and our love. Each and every one of these people is integral to the resulting family tree, whether they realize it or not.

So here's to you, Fam. Thank you for sustaining me. For understanding me. For supporting me. For loving me. Your presence in my life has changed me and made me a better person in every way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go (Mid)west, young woman

For the Earth Warriors: Clinging to Hope

Tragedy & Transformation