My Story


I had a revelation this morning
Looking in the mirror
Tracing the lines etched on my face
Usually I see them, try to smooth them
Worrying about the worry lines & signs
And how they reveal my age
But today as I stared at my reflection
I saw movements in those lines & marks
Acts of defiance and resolve
The bruised color beneath my eyes: the fight to always act on climate
This line next to my eye: the trench where we say Black Lives Matter
Where we strive for equity and understanding among all people
And this one: filled with the shouts of females all over the world
As we continue to rise up and claim the future
The furrow between my brow: carved there by countless conversations
With those who don’t understand the harm done by fascism and bigotry
And then I move on to see those lines next to my mouth:
The result of countless smiles blessed to me by my daughters
And all those who have brought me joy
So many more triumphs and sorrows
Etched into my face
That it would take years to unravel
Because
My face is the story of a life
And this morning I am in love
With all of it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go (Mid)west, young woman

Tragedy & Transformation

For the Earth Warriors: Clinging to Hope